If you’re a student from another country who wants to study in Germany, you may need to Apply for German student visa before entering the country.
Thousands of international students from across the globe visit the Federal Republic of Germany every year for higher studies. If you have gained admission for your Bachelors, Masters or PhD Course at any German University, you first need to find out whether you need a German Student Visa for your travel.
Depending On Your Home Country, Rules and Regulations Related To German Student Visa Varies.
Applicants within the European Union that include countries Norway, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Iceland you do not need a German Student Visa before entering Germany.
Similarly scholars from US, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Israel, Japan and South Korea too do not need a Visa for attending a study program in Germany. These applicants however have to register themselves at the Local Residents’ Registration Office and at the Aliens’ Registration Office to obtain a Residence Permit. This formality needs to be fulfilled within two weeks of arrival in the German land.
If you belong to Brazil, El Salvador, Honduras, San Marino, Andorra or Taiwan, you will require a German Student Visa if you wish to work in Germany before or after your degree. In case you plan to do so, make sure you apply for your visa in your home country via the German consulate or Embassy. Both Visa holders and Non Visa holders have to apply for Residence Permit within 2 weeks of arrival. For Students belonging to Taiwan, a passport with identity number is also essential.
Documents required for a Residence Permit include health insurance certificate, proof of enrolment to a German University course, valid passport, current Visa in case you have one and proof of sufficient finances for your stay in Germany.
Students from all other countries ( non EU and non EEA ) need a student Visa for Germany in order to pursue higher studies. The Visa application has to be made through your local German Embassy or Consulate in your home country.
Read More: Top 17 German Study Visa Requirements
Depending on your duration of stay in Germany, you need to apply for –
- National Visa – If your stay is more than 90 days
- Schengen Visa – Duration of less than 3 months
There are three types of German Student Visa –
- The Main German Student Visa or (Visum Zur Studienzwecken) is for Visa applicants who have already been accepted onto a German University course and have the proof of acceptance.
- Language Course Visa is for international scholars who have been accepted onto a Language preparatory course of duration between 3 to 12 months.
- Student Applicant Visa or (Visum Zur Studienbewerbung), is for international students who still do not have a confirmation of acceptance from a German University of have not yet chosen a study program.
Read More: How To Apply For Blocked German Account?
The Process of Visa Application –
Here are the documents that need to be submitted along with the Visa Application form at the German Embassy or Consulate in your home country.
- Valid National Passport
- 2 recently taken biometric portrait photographs
- Proof of Admission at a German University – This includes University admission letter, letter of admission in a foundation course, Letter of admission in a propaedeutic course or letter of admission in a preparatory German Language Course.
- Proof of German Language Proficiency – This is required for German only and Mixed Language Study programs.
- Proof of English Language Proficiency – For study programs in English and mixed language. If you are undertaking any course taught in English language, you need to present a proof of your English via TOEFL or IELTS English language test.
- Transcript of your Academic Record
- German Language Proficiency Certificate or a Proof of the Language Course you intend to study
- Proof of Sufficient Funds to sustain yourself in Germany for the duration of study program
- Health Insurance Certificate with a coverage of at-least 30,000 Euros and valid for a minimum of 3 months.
- Motivational letter expressing why you want to choose a particular university or study program and how it will help shape your career and life.
- In some cases you may also need to provide a proof of NO Criminal Record.
Blocked German Account – To show your financial security, you need to deposit a security payment of 10,332 EURO into a German Blocked account. This means that you cannot withdraw this money until you arrive in Germany. You can choose a provider of your choice for opening your German Blocked Account.
Is Applying For A German Student Visa Possible Without A Blocked Bank Account?
You can apply for a German Student Visa without a Blocked Account if you fulfill one of these requirements-
- Submission of documents stating Parent’s income and financial status
- If a relative or friend who is a permanent resident of Germany provides guarantee to cover your living expenses while you are in Germany for the study program
- If you have a scholarship from any recognized institution
Without any of the above, a German blocked account is a mandatory requirement for a German Student Visa.
Udrus dROP Money is the easiest and fastest way to open a blocked account for your German Student Visa. For more details on Udrus dROP Money, please visit , https://udrus.net/german-blocked-account-drop-money.
What is the German Student Visa Fee?
The student Visa Fee is €75 euros.
Applied for a higher study program in Germany but still do not have proof of acceptance ?
In such cases, you need to apply for a Student Applicant Visa.
For this you need to show your proof of application to a German University for a study program.
The Student Applicant Visa allows you a 3 month stay in Germany while you look for the study program. In case you do not get enrolled during this period, the Visa can be extended up to 6 months but this is solely at the discretion of Visa Authorities. Once you get enrolled to a German University study course, your student application Visa is converted into a National Visa.
How long does the processing of German Student Visa take?
You would typically have to wait for somewhere between 6 to 12 weeks for your German Student Visa. Sometimes the process may even take up-to 4 months, so its always advisable to start your visa processing well in advance.
Udrus is a platform connecting bright brains across the world to esteemed global universities. Udrus provides 360 degree help right from visa application, documentation, and health insurance to blocked German account (Udrus dROP Money). Realize your dream of studying abroad hassle free with Udrus!