Study In Latvia- Being home to one of the greatest educational institutions and education systems, Latvia remains on the priority list of most desired study abroad destinations. Latvia, additionally allows students studying in their universities to legally do 20 hours per week jobs along with their studies, provided, that no harm comes to studies. The country located in Northern Europe’s Baltic region offers a notably low cost of living which attracts students.
The education system of Latvia has been inherited from the Soviet Union, but it has undergone a lot of alterations, modifications, and modernization since the country joined the EU back in the year 2004. With Latvian schools and universities being part of the Bologna process, one thing is assured that the student will be having access to world-class education and a studious environment. Talking about the languages used for communication in Latvia, they are Latvian, of course, Russian (not more commonly), and English.
In this article, we’ll discuss the necessary requirements of applying for the Latvian Student Visa and also the procedure for applying.
Eligibility Criteria to Study in Latvia
The students applying for study in Latvia must ensure to get their acceptance letter/offer letter from the university so that their study visa could be issued for a study period exceeding 90 days. It should be noted that the Latvian Education System is valued and respected all over the world.
- Proficiency test results – Before proceeding further in the application, you are required to have English proficiency or Latvian proficiency test results with you. The student must clear any of the three English Proficiency Certificates (PTE, TOEFL, IELTS)
- The student applying for admission to a university in Latvia must have his/her original bank certificate with at least 4 lacs as financial proof
- For Bachelor’s – Secondary higher education with an aggregate of minimum 50%
- For Master’s – Secondary higher education plus Bachelor’s degree with GPAs above 50%
- Age limit: For Bachelor’s – up to 27 years; For Master’s – up to 31 years
- Language – It is preferred to learn the Latvian language and the compulsion of knowing English goes without saying.
Basic Requirements for Student Study Visa
Well, the requirements for the Latvia Student Visa differ from program to program, and university to university. However, here are the basic requirements that need to be handy with the student for the seamless facilitation of the process of application.
- Passport – Though it goes without saying, the student is required to be equipped with a copy of his/ her passport while applying for a university or college in Latvia
- A passport-sized photograph with white background and 35*45 cm in dimensions
- Latvian universities require transcripts of your high school education
- Proof of payment of the application fee of the college
- Curriculum Vitae
- Police verification and clearance certificate
- Application form
- Invitation letter
- Guarantee letter
- Admission letter
- Letter of motivation
- Letter of recommendation
- Health insurance with a minimum coverage of €30,000
In case the applicant intends to apply for postgraduate and doctoral studies, he/she is required to submit transcripts from their prior degree(s) along with a professional CV.
Read More: Study Medicine
How to apply for a Student Visa to study in Latvia
The following are the steps to be taken in order to apply for a Latvian Student Visa:
- The applicant is required to register himself/herself on the vfs website
- On the website, students need to book an appointment for the application form submission
- You can submit the visa application form either at the nearest embassy or through a video conference
- Pay the VFS charges that are around 20 Euros. In case of a video conference, the additional charges are 35 Euros.
- Along with this, the applicant needs to pay the Latvia Visa feed, which is around 60 Euros and non-refundable
- Download the Latvian Long Stay Student Visa Application form from the PLMP registration website
- Carefully fill the Latvian Long Stay Student Visa Application form
Latvian Student Visa Processing Time
Well, the overall Visa Processing time differs from country to country, it is generally considered that your visa application will be processed within 15 working days from the date of submission. However, in case there is any information required or inspection is necessary, then it might take up to 60 days. Hence, it is always advised to apply for a visa well before in advance so that the due date of the commencement of the course you intend to pursue, is not missed.
Too much burden while studying? That’s why Udrus is here!
Udrus takes care of all the procedures of applying for any university to study in Latvia from the application form to the accommodation. It should be understood that the details mentioned in the article are though countable, there are numerous other issues you will encounter once you start planning to pursue studies internationally. With Udrus on your side, you need not take much stress as we assure seamless functioning and processing of your visa application, passport, international bank account, and accommodation. We’ll accompany you on your path to obtaining a quality education from your desired university and location.