Sweden Student Visa: Types, Requirements and Cost
In this article, we will be discussing the procedure of acquiring a Sweden Student Visa covering all the necessary details.
There is no denying the fact that the beautiful and picturesque Scandinavian nation, Sweden, paves way for opportunities for all the students out there looking for completing their higher education internationally. Being acting as a home to numerous degree programs and vocational courses across a number of disciplines, Sweden, never fails to attract international students.
Sweden is considered among the list of top education leaders in the world with the universities strictly following the teaching methods based solely on ‘freedom with responsibility.’ As a result of this, the population of international students is gradually surging in Sweden and this is eventually leading the Swedish universities to recruit international students heavily in the last couple of years.
Regardless of the fact that Sweden is an expensive study abroad destination due to the introduction of tuition fees for non-EU/EEA students back in the year 2011, the country has witnessed a decent increase in the number of international students.
Well, if you are one of those students who are planning to study in Sweden, then you are required to apply for a Sweden student visa in Sweden or a residence permit. Moreover, these things are to be taken care of well in advance so that you are done with all the formalities before the commencement of your course in Sweden. In this article, we will be discussing the procedure of acquiring a Sweden student visa covering all the necessary details.
Types of Study Visas in Sweden
The types of Sweden Student Visa differ on the basis of the duration of your stay in Sweden. If the course you intend to pursue in Sweden can be completed within a duration of three months, then you are required to apply for the Sweden Student Visa. On the other hand, if in case your course duration exceeds 3 months time period, then you have to apply for a Residence Permit.
It should be noted that both types of Visas differ significantly in terms of their application procedure, documentation, and formalities. Hence, it is advised to file distinct applications for the required visa.
1. Sweden Student Visa (Type C)
If you are planning to do a short-term course, diploma, or certification, the duration of which is a maximum of 3 months, then you need to apply for this type of visa. As Sweden adheres to the Bologna system of education, the universities in Sweden require educational requirements for academic degrees as well as the quality assurance of such degrees that ensures that the university degrees are recognized on a global scale.
2. Sweden Residence Permit (Type D)
Students with intentions to pursue a long-term course exceeding the duration of 3 months are required to apply for the Type D visa or residence permit. However, it should be noted that the student must have submitted the first installment of the tuition fee of the university he/she plans to enroll in.
Sweden Student Visa Requirements
- Students are required to download the Sweden Visa Application form, fill it, and submit it.
- Enrollment certificate acquired from the university
- 2 passport-sized photos with a light background. The photo of the candidate needs to be recent.
- Photocopies of passport and previous visas (if any)
- A photocopy of the return ticket booking. Flight tickets booking with dates and flight numbers specifying entry and exit from Sweden.
- A travel health insurance confirmation of 30,000€, coverage within Sweden and the entire Schengen area
- Proof of civil status
- A cover letter with the purpose of visit to Sweden mentioned
- Proof of financial backing. Students planning to make an entry in Sweden are required to possess 48.26€ of stay in Sweden.
- Accommodation details for the whole duration of the intended stay in Sweden.
Language Requirements for Sweden Student Visa
Foreign students are allowed to get enrolled in English-taught courses, but it is a plus to learn Swedish as it will ease the communication with the locals. The following English language test scores are considered by the Sweden Universities.
- C1 Advanced
Though there is no certain time duration in which one receives his/her visa, it is always preferred to get started with the visa application process. Here is a list of documents that you need to present during your Sweden visa appointment.
- A valid passport with expiry not anywhere near the completion of the course and your return
- Enrollment letter from the university with admission dates and details mentioned
- Financial proof to ensure the student will be able to pay the complete tuition fee
- Class 10th and 12th mark sheet. Graduation certificate if applicable.
Sweden Student Visa Cost
The cost of a Sweden Student Visa differs in accordance with the age of the applicant. Considering the current rate, the visa fee for a residence permit for study purposes in Sweden is SEK 1,500 (INR 13,021).
As per the method of payment, the student can make online payments for obtaining the visa using a VISA or MasterCard.
Here’s How Udrus Makes the Entire Process Look Easy
Udrus ensures that the student’s requirements for applying for a student visa o study in Sweden are taken care of appropriately. Here, at Udrus, the students are accompanied on every step and process of obtaining their student visa, accommodation assistance, loans, international bank accounts, and more. In addition to this, Udrus gives scholarship opportunities to students with talents so that the burden of abroad studies’ budget could be decreased from the shoulders of both the student and their parents.
Apart from just looking out for colleges and universities in Sweden, at Udrus, you can also explore other countries and universities to diversify your options of study abroad destinations.