Germany is a very attractive place for students from all around the globe. It’s like a dream for many to study abroad for a Bachelor’s program in Germany in the top-notch universities. Similar to various other countries, Germany also has its own requirements when it comes to German Study Visa Processing. Moreover, it also depends on where you come from to pursue a specific degree.
In this blog, we will learn more about the visa requirements for German students as well as German Study Visa Processing Timelines.
Who All Need A German Study Visa?
You should know that not everyone requires a German study visa. If you are residing in one of the countries mentioned below, then you are entitled to Visa-free travel in the country:
- New Zealand
- San Marino
- El Salvador
- EEA/EU citizens
- United States
- South Korea
In case, your country is not mentioned above, then you have to apply for a visa to study in Germany. But you don’t need to worry, as you can learn all about the application process here.
New Requirement Of German Study Visa
Considering the purpose of your visit to the country you have to apply for the appropriate visa. If you are a student and want to apply for long-term education in Germany, then you can’t go for a Short-term/Schengen visa (C Visa). Although you do need to apply for D Visa which is a German National Long-term Visa.
There are three types of German student visas depending upon the type of study program you have selected.
1. Student Visa: It’s a long term visa and can only be applied if the person has been accepted into a German university. Don’t forget to register with the alien registration office in the German city you are going to live in two weeks prior to your arrival so that you can get the Residence Permit.
2. Student Application Visa: This is for those who haven’t got a formal admission letter from the German university or in case they need to enter entrance examinations. It is only valid for 3 months and can be extended to 6 months.
3. Language Course Visa: This is applicable for German language courses from 3 months to 1 year.
Read More: Student Health Insurance
What Are The Necessities For A German Study Visa?
- A valid National passport
- Birth certificate
- Two filled out and signed national visa forms
- Two recently taken biometric portrait photographs
- Marriage certificate (if applicable)
- Child certificate (if applicable)
- Photocopies of previous German residents titles; in case you have been to Germany before
- Previous resident permit
- Previous Schengen visa
- Proof of admission; either university admission letter for letter of admission in propaedeutic/foundation/ German language course
- Proof of financial resources: You must meet the required financial aspects in order to get your German study visa. Also, you need to have one of the following:
o Letter of Commitment: This is a person living in Germany who can cover your accommodation in other living expenses.
o Blocked Bank Account: You can easily open a blocked bank account online. It is accepted by the German Embassy around the world.
o Scholarship Certificate: You need to get the scholarship award or the certificate to show what all it covers.
o Letter of Declaration: Through this letter, you can show that you will be providing the required financial support during your stay in the country.
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
- Original certificate of previous education
- Proof that you have paid the application fees
- Travel Health Insurance: It must cover the period from the departure date of enrollment in the German university which is approximately 3 months.
o For the students who are aged 29 and younger, there is free travel health insurance for up to 31 days. This is offered by the German student insurance.
o For the Language students or interns aged 30 years and older, it is necessary to take EDUCARE24. You don’t have to worry about money, as this insurance is both affordable and qualitative; also it is recognized by the German embassies and consulates all around the world.
- Proof of English language proficiency: This is necessary for English or mixed-language courses.
- Proof of German language proficiency: This is necessary for German or mixed-language courses.
Although, we have covered the entire German study visa processing timelines, taking advice from experts would not do any harm. Udrus is a platform that you must check out to know more about the courses offered in Germany. Also, you can easily apply for the course you want to pursue with a few clicks.